Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mixtape Monday: Charleston

King Street(s)
Charleston Bridges and Buildings
{double exposures of Charleston shot with my Diana F+}

I've officially been back in Charleston for a week, but it seems like a month between classes and starting a new job. I try to avoid the January blues - that time after the Christmas when its just cold and there are no holidays to be excited about. Thankfully, the busyness of my new job, the familiarity of Charleston and my amazing college friends has seemed to help me overcome that feeling. In honor of this city that I am proud to call my home for two-thirds of the year, I present a Charleston mix-tape:

1. South Carolina - Tennis
2. Campus - Vampire Weekend
3. Marathon - Tennis
4. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa - Vampire Weekend
{Tennis is a new husband-wife duo that has a lo-fi 60's vintage beach sound. They are cute, summery and have a song called South Carolina; Ergo: I really like them. You must read their interview here! When you read this adorable interview, you will find out that the couple met in a college philosophy class - which leads me to Vampire Weekend, whose members also all met in college. I'm sure most of you have heard of VW and their music (beachy/harpsichord/afro-pop/Cape Cod). If you listen to them together, you will see how their i'm-a-preppy-hipster-on-the-sailing-team kinda sound really go hand in hand. They should go on tour together and wear matching vintage argyle sweaters, skinny jeans and yellow boat shoes. In other words their music reminds me of Charleston style and the locals' lifestyles and leisures}
.
5. Drink All Night - Steven Fiore
6. Boston - Steven Fiore
{Steven Fiore is a local Charleston artist who is am amazing singer-songwriter. I am fortunate enough to be able to go to live shows of his all the time. He has an amazing voice, a nice folk-rock sound and lyrics that will break your heart. You need to check him out!}
.
7. Everywhere I Go - Lissie
8. Heart of Gold - Neil Young
9. Wedding Bells - Lissie
{Lissie is a new find for me and I cannot wait to get more of her music. The tone of her voice is so beautiful and rich. Her sounds is something I would describe as indie-country-pop. I just got some Neil Young songs added to my library as well. These two artists complement each other really well. And what does this have to do with Charleston? I am the type of person who when hears a favorite song of theirs is transported back to memories to when they first got it. They aren't usually significant memories, I just remember the month, time of year and what was going on in my life then. These 3 songs will always remind me of January 2011, second semester, Junior year of college.}
.
10. Starry Eyed - Ellie Goulding
11. Guns + Horses - Ellie Goulding
{Being back in Charleston also means going to the gym regularly and trying to find good workout music. Ellie Goulding is HUGE in the UK right now, but not so much in the US. She has really great electro-pop music and a unique voice. It's uplifting/fast-paced music that makes me enjoy working out.}

4 comments:

  1. First off, the part of this post where you wrote your "amazing college friends" made me smile. I'm so glad things are finally working out for the both of us.

    This is a really cool post concept, both actual Charleston natives and your own personal experience with the city. I love Lissie. Her voice is truly something and her songs are catchy as ever. I'm so jealous Steven Fiore is a local musician for you because from what I just listened to on the link you gave us he is amazing. I like his rough voice and the simple but beautiful guitar strums. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures :) And I'm glad you've taken up blogging again.

    I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award :) Details at http://princessfrivolous.blogspot.com xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh! I am so excited you decided to return to bee-loggggin!

    Thank you for sharing music suggestions! I FINALLY caught up to the 21st century and got an ipod for my birthday! I am dyin' to fill it with new music! Did you know Adele is coming out with a new CD next month?! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Ellie Goulding! And I'm so happy you made another blog :) Your old blog was one of my absolute favorites and I definitely missed your absence!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...