Monday, February 21, 2011

Mixtape Monday: Soul Sisters

Here's a mix of artists that I have just recently discovered and some that I have been listening to for a few years. They all have a similar sound and seem to be inspired by one another. They are thread together by harpsichords, fairytale-like voices, and a strong use of percussion. It's hard to explain the connection of the artists, but if you listen in to this mix, it becomes apparent.

1. White Nights - Oh Land (This band is a new discovery of mine and reminds me of a combination of CocoRosie and Florence + the Machine.)
2. God Has A Voice, She Speaks to Me - CocoRosie (CocoRosie has such a unique sound that somehow combines "fairy-tale" music and hip-hop rhythm.)
3. Are you Hurting the One you Love? - Florence + The Machine (I love all the charms and bangles that fill the background music.)
4. Bruises - Chairlift
5. Lonely - Mean Lady
6. Wolf & I - Oh Land
7. Werewolf - CocoRosie (Perfect example of said CocoRosie description)
8. Melodies and Desires - Lykke Li (I love the spoken word in this)
9. Rainbow - Oh Land
10. Time Flies - Lykke Li
11. By Your Side - CocoRosie (My first song I heard by them and its still my favorite)
12. Perfecion - Oh Land
13. Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up) - Florence + The Machine (sounds like something Stevie Nicks would sing)
14. Candyland - CocoRosie
15. Indian Sun - Mean Lady

5 comments:

  1. you are my source for moooozak, woman! i have never heard of coco rosie or wolf and i until now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we definitely seem to have similar taste in music so I'm going to check out the songs/artists I don't already know! cocorosie is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bruises! I'll have to look into these other bands :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cocorosie!!!! I love this playlist!
    Also, I use a yashica tl electro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...