Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Baked Chicken with Tomatoes and Chickpea Salad

Chicken Tomato and Chickpea Dinner
Like I mentioned earlier, I am trying to eat more Mediterranean "style," but for more reasons than just flavor. People in the Mediterranean region are shown to have longer, healthier lives due to the wholesome, local meals they eat. I am trying to incorporate more seafood, whole grain and olive oil into my diet and less dairy (except for greek yogurt and occasional cheese), butter and beef. Olive oil is actually a very good type of fat and can benefit your health, but we wouldn't know that because society tells us to eat this fake low-fat margarine crap that is made up of who knows what. The whole idea of Mediterranean cooking and eating is consuming whole, non processed foods and cooking with few ingredients. Friendly for your health and wallet. I made this dinner of Baked Chicken with Tomatoes and Chickpea Salad a few nights ago and couldn't believe how simple, easy and flavorful it was!
.
Baked Chicken with Tomatoes
6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
1 - 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 Tablespoon each salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup white wine

In a large casserole dish place chicken in a single layer and top with tomatoes, cheese, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and pour wine over chicken. Bake at 400 for 40-45 min or until fly cooked.
.
Chickpea Salad
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I use it from the jar because I hate the way my hands smell after)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons capera
2 plum tomatoes, chopped

Mix vinegar, garlic, cumin and oil in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Let sit at room temperature and marinate while the chicken is cooking.

**both of these lasted as leftovers for several days - the salad kept getting better and better!

5 comments:

  1. YUM! Thanks so much for posting recipes lately. They look delicious and sound healthy, what more could I ask for? I think I have most of these ingredients anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm,that looks so delicious! I will definitely be making that chicken sometime soon. Yummm. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, the recipes you post always look so delish! and I am really happy that they're non-conventional recipes. The chickpea salad looks so appetizing. I love chickpeas! I'm not too big on Mediterranean flavors. I think it's the olives and feta that are too strong for me. But these recipes don't have either! Added to my "to try" list. Thanks, Lauren :)
    hearts, laura♥
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks sooooo amazing oh my gosh. I'll have to give this recipe to my mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...