Sunday, May 29, 2011

Marrakech, Morocco: Day 15

DSC_0831
DSC_0816
DSC_0813
DSC_0779DSC_0773DSC_0827
DSC_0762
DSC_0746
DSC_0822
DSC_0826
Palace Ceiling
DSC_0749DSC_0743DSC_0738
Lanterns in Marrakech
Ornate
Artwork
DSC_0815
Spice Market
DSC_0774

Day 15
Started our morning with a tour of a centuries-old Palace and school, and it was raining again :( After we were free to go out on our own and shop.
Marrakech is so overwhelming, especially when you only have a day to be there (and not even a full day). I feel like there was a lot of stuff I missed, but that just means I will have to return.
Walking into the main square, where the bomb went off a month ago (which you can clearly see that it was targeted at tourists), you see performers, snake charmers and monkeys on a leash galore. Once you step inside the covered market, you must choose which path to take and hope that you will find what you need and for the best price.
Haggling is key - I ended up paying exactly how much I wanted to things. Also, things start to look the same after a while, so I tried to only go in the places that looked truly unique.
I was looking for the tall cone sculptures of spices all day, but only found a few. I think because it was raining and humid (which apparently it never is in Marrakech), the tower of spices would not have faired so well. Another reason to return - to photograph those beautiful spices!
Unfortunately, I felt like I only saw 1/300th of the city and only took like 100 pictures (which is extremely low for me). I feel as though this post sounds really negative, and I wish that it didn’t, I just hate feeling rushed in such a vibrant and cultural city.
Until next time Marrakech -

5 comments:

  1. Although you may have felt rushed, the pictures still look beautiful! I love looking at your photography and I wish I could take you with me to India in July to photograph my adventures for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those mounds of spices are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh the colors, the perfect mounds of spices...magnifique! I can't wait to visit Morocco...
    xo http://redpoppyfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These shots are absolutely incredible. I'm in love with all the colors and patterns. So overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...