Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rabat and ride back to Tangier: Day 17

Rabat
Rabat
<span class=

Day 17: Rabat and ride back to Tangier
This day was a long one in the bus - we left at 8:30 from Essaouria and arrived in Tangier at 7:45, but with stops along the way.
Argan oil seems to be the new “it” item in cosmetic trends at the moment. I’ve seen Moroccanoil advertised in fashion magazines a lot lately, but its nothing new. Argan oil is native to Morocco and cannot grow anywhere else (they’ve tried and not succeeded). It can be used for your hair, skin and in cooking. We visited a few places where we saw the women extracting the oil and the process behind it. One place in particular was also a business that gave divorced women, widows and single moms a place to work. I must say I am convinced that this Argan oil works because all of the women’s skin - of varying ages - all looked youthful and healthy. They all seemed to have a glow about them, and you know they haven’t had an easy life. I bought some almond lotion and oil for my hair. I loved that women established this system for other women - creating a product mostly for women! It’s very forward thinking for Morocco (women were just allowed to divorce a few years ago).
Also on the way back, we briefly stopped in Casablanca for lunch at McDonalds. This would NEVER be my choice for lunch, but we were in a rush and that what everyone was doing. It wasn’t so bad I guess...
We only briefly drove through Casablanca, the industrial capital of Morocco, but I wish we spent more time there. Apparently its not a place geared towards tourism and is just strictly for business, but it seemed like a very modern and happening city.
We stopped briefly in Rabat, the capital of Morocco, for a look at the mausoleum for the last two kings and the minaret. It was definitely a beautiful site. Other than that I didnt really see Rabat at all, we went back on the interstate.
....so next time I come back to Morocco, I will definitely spend more time in Marrakech, Casablanca and Rabat (easier because it will be on my own time too)

4 comments:

  1. Let me know if you're looking for a traveling buddy when you head to Morocco for your 2nd visit! In the meantime, I will take you up on your camera offer. I'm back in the states around June 21st. I'll get in touch with you and we'll get some coffee and exchange adventure stories, camera advice, and our dreams for future travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your pictures do a great job of capturing the essence of an exotic locale; which is so hard to do! :)

    i love the argan oil company started by women; like you said so forward thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I'm behind on your posts but your photos never cease to amaze me. The ones from Essaouira were beautiful, the blue is stunning. I'm sorry you keep getting ill, who knew that apricots would set someone off! I hope you and everyone else in your program can stay healthy for the remainder of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love me a good mcd's big mac meal when i'm traveling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...