Monday, June 13, 2011

Mixtape Monday: For the Summer

Sullivan's Island I
{Diana Camera - me at the beach in Charleston}

Now that I am back in the states, the idea that summer is here is setting in.
Watching fireflies on after-dinner walks, gilding my hair with lemon juice and sipping frozen smoothies are always on the agenda.
Summer is also the only time where I get to drive my car (I don't bring it to school), so I get to listen to the radio and catch up on the year's hits that I've missed. I apologize in advance for anything mainstream, but sometimes they're just so catchy.
Here is my first of many summer music mixes:

1. Rill Rill - Sleigh Bells (I was all about this band last summer when they debuted. This song is just so chill and easygoing, not to mention it mentions The Parent Trap - one of my favorite summer movies.)
2. How I Roll - Britney Spears (This one is off her new album. I like to think of this one as a strange lovechild of "Soda Pop" and "Me Against the Music." Remember her debut album?)
3. Hair - Lady Gaga (Mother Monster's new record is so amazing. This one is super fun and uplifting.)
4. Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac (I am on a Fleetwood Mac kick right now, Lord, they were fantastic! Could totally pass as a contemporary indie rock song.)
5. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Coldplay (always looking forward to what new directions they're going in)
6. Lorelai - Fleet Foxes (Another Fleet band I have been obsessing over - especially their new album. I listened to it all while driving through Morocco. Their music just has a way of transporting you somewhere else. More so on their first album, I see lots of traces of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide")
7. Love Like a Sunset, Pt. II - Phoenix
8. So Far Around the Bend - The National (I have a thing for deeeeep voices)
9. For the Summer - Ray LaMontagne
10. How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep? - Bombay Bicycle Club (This was my abosutlte favorite song last summer)
11. The Next Time Around - Little Joy (The most attractive Brazilian band I have ever seen or heard.)
12. Sweet Road - Animal Collective
13. Tricycle - Psapp
14. For Beginners - M. Ward
15. Scissor Runner - Jenny and Johnny (Reminds me of 90's pop rock I grew up with)

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I just have to tell you that I totally rely on you for awesometastic music, these days! My ipod thanks you for making it the coolest kid on the block!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. soda pop was my favorite track off of her debut album! love love love this mix!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...