Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Savor the Season (Tomato Cobbler)

Father's Day Dinner
For Father's Day I always make my dad a meal, but he usually always insists on grilling the main entree because he lives to grill. Since I was in charge of the side dishes to accompany his delicious and juicy rotisserie chicken, I wanted to make food that captures the essence of summer.
I had him grill some watermelon on the side and then topped it off with some crumbled feta cheese and fresh basil.
The other side was Tomato Cobbler, which was unique, hearty and delish.

Tomato Cobbler
(from Martha Stewart)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 lb cherry tomatoes
3 Tbl flour
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
.
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, plus more for sprinkling
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, flour and red pepper to onions and toss. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. For the biscuits, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Rub in butter with fingers until small clumps form. Stir in cheese and cream until dough forms.
4. Spread out tomato mixture in a 9X13 baking dish. Spoon clumps of biscuit dough over tomatoes. Brush dough with cream and sprinkle remaining cheese over biscuits.
5. Bake at 375 for about an hour and 10 minutes.

S'mores in a Jar

and for dessert.... S'mores Cake in a Jar. When I saw the recipe on Tastespotting, I knew I had to try it! It was so incredible and surprisingly easy to make.

5 comments:

  1. The cobbler sounds fantastic! And whoa! that smore in a jar! WOOOOW!

    Ps. I love your new? profile picture! You've got lovely eyes!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks and sounds delicious! And that smore in a jar looks amazing! Definitely going to have to try that at some point this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing. The smores cake in a jar especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute new blog design! I will eat s'mores any way I can get them-- I will eat them in a jar. I will eat them in a car. I will eat s'mores here or there. I will eat them anywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...