Monday, July 18, 2011

Mixtape Monday: High School Favorites, Pt.1

With the news of my beloved Rilo Kiley breaking up last week and today's release of a new Red Hot Chili Peppers song, I was quickly reminded of my favorite bands and songs from high school. Thankfully I developed an alternative taste in music in my formative years, which quickly turned into my love of indie rock. You know when you can listen to a song and it beings to back to a specific moment where you have so much vivid details, even is it was an insignificant moment? These songs have bring back those moments for me. Here were my favorite songs from high school ('04-'08) and why:

1. Send Me On My Way - Rusted Root (I used to listen to this song almost every day in dance class. My inspiring dance teacher really was the one who made me listen to awesome, off-beat music.)
2. Landed - Ben Folds (Another dance class song, reminds me of fall of my sophomore year)
3. Girl - Beck (I was obsessed with Beck in high school. The way he can combine so many genres and instruments into one song still amazes me. This was the song that introduced me to Beck.)
4. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (I loved running to this song)
5. Title and Registration - Death Cab for Cutie (I feel like the first band that introduces people to indie music is Death Cab. This is such a great album. I remember people thinking I was "emo" because I listened to a band called Death Cab for Cutie {my school was often closed minded})
6. Shakin' - Rooney (A favorite from 8th grade that still followed through high school. This band has also broken up within the last few years. They feel like they helped bring back that retro-Beatles pop sound.)
7. Jenny Was A Friend of Mine - The Killers (Hot Fuss continues to be one of my all time favorite albums. Brandon Flowers also makes cameos in my dreams sometimes.)
8. On Your Porch - The Format (My best friend gave me this on a mix cd - still play it in my car.)
9. Not Going Anywhere - Keren Ann (This was one of the first of many French artists I started listening to. I got this album right before I went to Paris when I was 17 and I listened to it while we were driving in the car between cities.)
10. Don't Panic - Coldplay (Huge Coldplay fan in high school. This is off the Garden State soundtrack, a tracklisting that would "change my life" as Natalie Portman would say.)
11. Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap (This is also on that mix cd my bestie gave me. Everytime I hear this song is sounds new and just as raw - it never - nor will ever - get old or stale.)
12. Scissory - Psapp (I remember getting this song right before I was graduating. It kind of resonated with how I was feeling.)
13. Eleanor Put Your Boots Back On - Franz Ferdinand (Loved this band too - in particular this song.)
14. Slow Cheetah - Red Hot Chili Peppers (My dance teachers love for them made me love them. Anthony Kiedis is a warrior rock god.)
15. Eighties Fan - Camera Obscura (Such a teenage song)
16. L-L-Love - Blondfire (It was a free song on iTunes and quickly became my most played. So discotique fresh)
17. They - Jem (The paranoia song, but still, I love it. The Italian mandolin and kids voices make the song.)

What were your favorite songs/artists in high school?

3 comments:

  1. I was so sad to hear about the formal break up of Rilo Kiley too!

    You had good taste in high school; Camera Obscura and Death Cab were some of my faves too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gahh we are the same person. Almost every single one of these songs brings me back to a specific high school/college memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, love "Maps"! In high school I was both nerdy and angst-y so I mostly listened to show tunes and Tori Amos. LOL. My musical horizons didn't really start expanding until I went to college.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...