Monday, August 8, 2011

Mixtape Monday: High School Favorites, Pt.2

(see Part 1 here)

1. Your Ex-Lover is Dead - Stars (I remember when I first heard this, I was overwhelmed with how beautiful and heartbreaking, yet hopeful it was.)
2. You Only Live Once - The Strokes (got this on a burned cd for my 18th birthday)
3. Silver Lining - Rilo Kiley (off their last and final album...obsessed with this song during fall '07, senior year)
4. Nantes - Beirut (I just got their new album and it is fantastic. This song is off their second album that came out in HS)
5. Save Me - Aimee Mann (loved - and still do - Aimee Mann a lot)
6. Annie - Vanessa Carlton (As I have mentioned before, I think Vanessa Carlton is really underrated. Harmonium is one of my favorite albums ever.)
7. Hospital Bed - Seabear (Seabear's debut album is captivating one of the most solid albums I've eve heard. Icelanders know how to make music. For whatever reason this album, The Ghost That Carried Us Away, I thought for sure would have been used in Where the Wild Things Are.)
8. Sundress - Ben Kweller (I loved Ben Kweller in HS. This song is his best and my favorite.)
9. Dawn - Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack (I have lost track the number of times I have seen this movie and listened to this soundtrack. Both are so aesthetically pleasing and really allow you to escape this world for a while.)
10. John Wayne Gracy, Jr. - Sufjan Stevens (The most music I have by any artist is Sufjan - probably due to the fact that his albums are usually 30 songs long. This song is creepy, disturbing and somehow gorgeous. Only Sufjan)
11. Star Witness - Neko Case
12. Summer in the City - Regina Spektor (First Regina song I'd ever heard - obsessed ever since)
13. Heart it Races - Architecture in Helsinki (I brought this in for my senior collaborative dance. We wore bird masks when we performed it onstage.)
14. Morris Brown - Big Boi (Outkast is genius, they go beyond anything that rap and hip/hop claims to be)
15. City of Love - Persephone's Bees
16. You Know I'm No Good - Amy Winehouse (first Amy song I heard - immediately hooked)
17. Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
18. Ramalama Bang Bang - Roisin Murphy
19. Breathe Me - Sia (Did a very dramatic dance to this...moving)
20. You Could Be Happy - Snow Patrol

What were your favorite songs in high school?

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, so many of these are also favorites of mine from highschool! Especially your ex-lover is dead and sundress, goodness! reminds me of my little oldsmobile I drove around. kinda miss those days but not really! great list as always!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...