Monday, August 1, 2011

Mixtape Monday: Summer vs. Winter

I love when a favorite residence of mine gets some indie cred. Right now I am all about Givers, a young, fun band hailing from my home state of Louisiana. If you like Ra Ra Riot, The Dodo's and brassy female voices, then you will love them. Their debut has become the perfect summer album.

Givers/ Ra Ra Riot Inspired (Summery and upbeat):
1. Noche Nada - Givers (My favorite part starts around 1:00)
2. Can You Tell - Ra Ra Riot (Givers opened up for them, and it makes so much sense if you listen to both)
3. Swing Tree - Discovery (side project of a Ra Ra Riot member and a Vampire Weekend member)
4. The Strums - The Dodos
5. Cousins - Vampire Weekend
6. Do You Want it All? - Two Door Cinema Club
7. Saw You First - Givers (I love that they have both a male and female lead singer)
8. Bryn - Vampire Weekend
9. Fables - The Dodos
10. Oh, La - Ra Ra Riot
.
Lately Listenings (a bit of a contrast to the list above, much more Wintry and melancholy):
11. Far Away - Washed Out (I have little patience for lo-fi bands, but Washed Out is super original and smooth with it comes to this genre. I like the dark and rainy feeling of this song)
12. Ghosts Under Rocks - Ra Ra Riot (To me this is a very dramatic song)
13. Holocene - Bon Iver (His new album is really superb and just beautiful. I wished this album came out in January though - I will always associate him with "Good Winter" and the fact that he recorded his first album in a snowed in cabin in the woods.)
14. Abducted - Cults
15. Perth - Bon Iver (Check out the cover below of one of my favorite Bon Iver songs)
16. I Don't Want Love - The Antlers

*One of my best friends introduced me to Birdy - she's only 15 and she's unreal - so talented and unique. Love, love and love

1 comment:

  1. You have such good mixtapes! I love Givers! They were at SXSW this year and I've been listening to them since!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...