Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wondering to Wanderlust

Germany '07
Germany '07
Germany '07Germany '07
Germany '07Germany '07
Germany '07
Germany '07
Germany '07
Germany '07
(Photos above are from a trip to Germany in Fall of 2007)

Senior year has been flying by and hasn't slowed down one bit. In the midst of school, internship, theatre and a social life, I have been trying to think about what I would like to do once I graduate, approximately 6 months from now. A huge part of me wants to travel for the mere fact that I don't know when again in my life I will have the freedom and lack of responsibilities to do so for an extensive amount of time. It's a huge desire that also feels a bit selfish, because I think stalling the real world might make it harder for me to join it when I come back, non to mention student loans. I am fortunate enough to have gone all the places I have, so I sometimes get a feeling that the fact that I "want more" when others have never even left the US, feels selfish. Also, I would hope that my travels, in which I would work and volunteer would be something that employers look well upon.
If I don't travel immediately, I must make a promise to myself to go somewhere new every year, and that doesn't have to be out of the country. I live in a huge country and have only seen a fraction of it, there is still adventure to be had here.
I have other "life plans" if you will besides travelling, such as potentially moving to Chicago and finding a job there(and take classes at The Second City) which would be an adventure in and of itself, but I just never want to regret NOT traveling.

What are your thoughts on this?

7 comments:

  1. Travel NOW. Go as many places as far away as you can. Once you get into the "real world" (I sound like my parents!) it is much harder to steal time away to go abroad. Don't feel selfish or guilty. Seeing the world and experiencing different cultures opens your eyes and makes you a better person/employee/friend/citizen. It's in everyone's best interests! :) There are tons of great and amazing things to see here in the US but save those trips for when you are settled down and can only steal short amounts of time to see them. (I love taking long weekends to check out a new city!) You're young, free, and mobile so go big now!

    BTW, those photos are beautiful! You're giving me some wanderlust of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew these photos were from Germany before you even told us, I recognized the Christmas market!

    I think you should go with your gut. It is worth weighing all of the pros and cons, but societal conventions for our age group are all out of whack right now and therefore it's hard to go by what everyone else might think. Who knows, maybe one year traveling will be seen as the smart choice- making a future job applicant seem well informed, well rounded, and more stable (since they've already gotten their curiosity bug out)OR another year traveling could make the applicant seem restless and unfocused. But with the current economy and general pessimism, you can't really predict it. Either way, I think your travel somewhere new every year concept is a great idea. You should try and make a goal of that regardless of whether you go backpacking. I want to implement it too!

    Also maybe this is naive since I'm just another senior like you, but whose to say the one time in our life to really travel is when we're 22? Yes, we technically aren't tied down yet, but I find it sort of a Debbie Downer way to look at life to think your 20s is the only opportunity to see the world. That puts a lot of pressure on maxing out this decade in our lives when it's really a stressful and unstable time full of uncertainty in everything from finances to friendships.

    However, if you do move to Chicago, keep me posted! I'm contemplating it myself and maybe we could both attempt Second City together? I've always been fascinated, but terrified of it by myself, perhaps this is one thing where I wouldn't mind having a partner in crime.

    anyway, clearly I'm just as equivocal as you are, but that's why being a senior is so fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go ahead and travel. I backpacked all over Europe for a month by myself after I graduated and, for the good and the bad, it was an amazing experience. Like Tess, I agree that it's sad to limit yourself to traveling in your 20's, but the fact of the matter is that you'll never have as much free time to do it in bulk as you will before you get that job and sign the lease on that apartment. A month, or two, or even a year isn't so long for the "real world" to wait, especially if you're planning on getting work, internship, or volunteer experience while you travel.

    Germany was, surprisingly, one of my favorite countries in Europe. I'm hoping to get back there sometime-- I think it would be nice to go for Christmas. Gorgeous photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with everyone here. I kind've regret not traveling more, but not really. I married right after college and had to settle here in IL because my husband and I are doing our grad degrees. AFter this, though, money willing, we will travel everywhere! That said, DO IT! go everywhere and anywhere before settling down or getting a job-job. Being an adult is so overrated. I'm just upset it took me a grad degree to learn it.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    enter my Too Faced and Hello Kitty Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. thank you for the well-wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. crazy gorgeous photos, goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...