Saturday, December 24, 2011

Lumberjack Christmas Party

table
This year's Christmas party was a break from the formality of last year's Cocktail Party, we hosted a Lumberjack Christmas Party. Everyone was comfy and warm in their Lumberjack and Lumberjill flannel shirts and the woodland environment of a lumberjack/jill seemed to be the perfect Christmas theme to me. Deer, tree stumps, plaid flannel, pancakes, and other breakfast foods served as the inspiration for the party.
Thanks to Pinterest, an uncommon theme was supported by tons of ideas and inspiration.
pancake ginerbread
Because making fresh pancakes for so many people would have been messy and time consuming, we decided to make gingerbread cookies that looked like pancakes. I use this recipe every year to make my gingerbread. It's a tradition for me. To make them look like pancakes, I cut them in different sized circles, using cups and tubberware and then once cooled, melted some chocolate to pour over them like syrup. I made the Royal Icing to make a pat of butter on the top of each one.
.
lumberjack
Lit lanterns and real pinecones completed the wood-sy look
.
owl candle
.
roll-ups
I made roll-ups using store-bought spinach dip, ham, cut bell peppers and cheddar cheese on flour and tomato wraps. My father cut these stumps to serve the food on, I covered the surface with parchment paper before putting the food on it though.
.
deer
.
greenery
My mom took down her curtains and instead hung some live greenery, flocked with snow
.
table
I made some Grown-up Hot Chocolate with Homemade Bailey's Marshmallows and kept it warm in a crock-pot.
For dinner we served Baked Cheese Grits, Grilled Sausages and Caramelized Onions as the main dish.
For dessert, we had my dad's famous Liege Waffles that he re-created from his trips to Belgium and s'more by the fire.
Basically, NO ONE left hungry.
.
stumps
.
acorns
These acorns were made with Hershey kisses, vanilla wafers and peanut butter chips. Melted chocolate held it all together.
.
scape
.
deer mount
My dad cut this awesome deer trophy out of wood using this template.
cheeseball
A cheeseball covered with almonds to resemble a pinecone.
deer
It was a fun, comfortable and successful party! We also had a "photobooth" where we taped up some plaid wrapping paper on the wall and had some silly Christmas props and hats for people to wear.
.
It's strange not knowing exactly where I will be this time next year once I completely fly away from the nest (going to college is just halfway). No longer will I be able to come home for 4 weeks during Christmas and be able to help plan this party. That is the bewilderment that I believe will sum up my 2012. But for now...

I wish you a very Merry Christmas

4 comments:

  1. You really went all out! I love the lumberjack theme. Also, your look-a-like gingerbread pancakes covered in chocolate look amazing.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be my favorite theme of all the Christmas parties you have shared with us. So cute and ingenious! I'm glad your family is always up for such a fun party!

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your lengthy vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is extraordinary!! I am amazed!

    http://theadoraexplorer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible! Seriously I'm in awe. This would make a really neat spread in a magazine along with recipes and decor instructions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...