Monday, January 2, 2012

Mixtape Mondays: Best Songs of 2011

In addition my picks for Best Albums of 2011, here are my favorite songs from other artists not mentioned previously (in order):

1. Midnight City - M83 (I have to confess that I purchased their album a few weeks ago and still haven't had time to listen to it, because I definitely think it would have made my best albums list. I promise to do a review and post about it soon. This track is hands down my favorite song of the year - 90's inspired, lots of saxophone but still has a futuristic feel. You can't help but dance when listening to it. The music video is perfect.)

2. Contact High - Architecture in Helsinki (One of my favorite bands in high school updated their sound and still managed to stay a favorite. Catchy and matches the greatness of "Heart is Races")

3. Shuffle - Bombay Bicycle Club (Very Matt and Kim, but still their own. Funky, off-kilter and slightly hip hop. This was my summer song.)

4. I Can't Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt Cover) - Bon Iver (Best song Justin Vernon has ever done. Already a beautiful classic soft song, he makes it all his own with his imperfect falsetto and simple piano accompaniment.)

5. Woe Be - Feist (I didn't pay attention to this song until recently, once I noticed what she was singing. "He's the verse, she's the hook / Woe be to the girl who loves a songwriter" is a line most women can relate to. Soulful and beautiful symbolism in this song that you can only get on Amazon.)

6. We Are Young - fun. (This band's music needs to be made into a musical. Theatrical yet accessible, they are part Queen part Ben Folds. I love them, and this song is the newest from them. I am so excited about fun.'s next album, I do hope a playwright out there has the same idea as I do. It would be brilliant on Broadway.)

7. Velcro - Bell X1 (The lead singer sounds identical to Beck, so that's always a plus to me. The lyrics are literal yet adorable "I'll be your tongue, You'll my groove / I'll be your positive, You'll be my negative / I will be your velcro." It's an infectious and cute song without being nauseating.)

8. White Nights - Oh Land (The imagery in this song is perfectly painted by the singer's sweet yet unusual voice. The music video, has a lot of ideas, but fits perfectly with the song.)

9. Wood - Rostam (Producer and member of Vampire Weekend, Rostam brings his British imperial Indian sound to his new project. All the fanciful rifts and sitars, set against strong tribal drums and his peaceful soft voice creates a feeling that you're seeing what he is: a beautiful, exotic paradise.)

10. Coming Down - Dum Dum Girls (I imagine this to be the perfect song to slow dance to at prom, as if I would know. It's smoky, swaying and sexy. I was obsessed with this song this past Fall.)

11. Quitter's Raga - Gold Panda (Hipster electronica + Indian music and lyrics. Fun and quick.)

12. Country Clutter - Dolorean (Alternative country folk, as I would like to classify it. This song is passionate, warm yet bitter - exactly how country should be. "Let it clutter up your life, the way you cluttered up mine")

13. Lighthouse - NewVillager (Part Killers, part Architecture in Helsinki, also paired with a crazy cool video)

14. How I Roll - Britney Spears (Britney has the best producers ever, helping her stay relevant and sound good. This was my favorite track off Femme Fatale - it's very Gwen Stefani.)

15. Endtapes - The Joy Formidable (This is a new band to me and they remind me of Tegan and Sarah had they been placed in the 90's. This is off the Breaking Dawn Soundtrack and beats Bruno's song. Rock Out.)

16. Life's a Happy Song - The Muppets Movie Soundtrack (The new Muppets movie is happy, adorable and clever -I enjoyed every second of it. This was my favorite and most memorable song from the film. It's impossible to not leave the theatre singing this.)

17. A Candle's Fire - Beirut (Staying true their gypsy sound, Beirut delivered another travel ready album. I love the marching band feel of this song.)

18. Shuffle A Dream - Little Dragon (Jazzy and reminds me of "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro.)

19. The A Team - Birdy (I am still shocked this is a 15 year old. Her sound is so mature and quintessentially British. Great discovery this year - thanks Daughtry!)

20. Not Fade Away - Florence and the Machine (Off a Buddy Holly tribute album, this is all New Orleans jazz and soul, a genre she always seems to pull off.)

21. Don't Gotta Work It Out - Fitz & the Tantrums (This is like the male incarnate of Amy Winehouse, this song is all retro and Motown.)

22. Lana del Rey - Video Games (One of the most buzzed about artists of the year, and I must say rightfully deserved between this song and her inflated lips. Looking forward to her debut album.)

23. Go Outside - Cults (The boy-girl duo have this retro sound a la Best Coast and Tennis, but have a rawness to them as well that reminds me of Sleigh Bells. This song is uber catchy.)

24. Up Up Up - Givers (A young, fun band hailing from my home state of Louisiana. If you like Ra Ra Riot, The Dodo's and brassy female voices, then you will love them. Their debut was the perfect summer album.)

25. Amor Fati - Washed Out (Pure 90's dance music, it's an uber hipster track, without being annoyingly ironic. Also, it is my ringtone.)

3 comments:

  1. one song i think should be on there: "somebody that i used to know" by gotye feat. kimbra. so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love new music. there are so many bands listed above that i have never heard of, i am so excited to check them out!

    thanks for your comment on my blog, i love having new blogs to read. thanks for linking us up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...