Monday, January 9, 2012

Mixtape Mondays: Music for the Road

Driving to Charleston
Last night I drove from home in Georgia to Charleston for my last semester. My winter break was so relaxing and enjoyable with my parents and high school friends, I was reluctant to go back. I think it was that I didn't want to start my last semester of college, because after that it is just "real world" where there are no semesters or breaks( unless I become a teacher and if thats the case, I need to redo my entire major, thus more school).
Where I usually dislike driving around for errands and such, I love driving by myself long distances, across states. It's very mind clearing and reflective. Though I guess I am not totally alone because my music is playing the entire time, and keeps me company while I listen to it ramble on and on about love and traveling. Fully focusing on the lyrics, I feel as though long car rides enlighten me more and more each time.
Here's what I listened to en route to Charleston:

1. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens (The ultimate car travel song, I am also relating to it more since I want to move to Chicago after college.)
2. Blue Skies - Noah and the Whale (a song about healing)
3. White Winter Hymnal - Birdy
4. I Still Care for You - Ray LaMontagne (I typically play his entire discography during long road trips)
5. To Whom It May Concern - The Civil Wars (I finally got this album and listened to it several times though on the trip. This song is a letter to your future soulmate.)
6. Futile Devices - Sufjan Stevens
7. Leave Me Here - Hem (Hem is very nostalgic and reminds me of home in the horse country)
8. I've Got this Friend - The Civil Wars
9. Landslide - Fleetwood Mac (No road trip is complete without this song)
10. Furr - Blitzen Trapper
11. Forget Me Not - The Civil Wars (Very old-school country)
12. Josephine - Brandi Carlile
13. Arms (while the fire dies version) - Seabear
14. Just Like Heaven - The Watson Twins (best played at sunset)
15. Barking at the Moon - Jenny Lewis (best "coming home" song)

What songs do you like to listen to on long road trips?

4 comments:

  1. Great picks! We definitely listen to a lot of the same music. I'm one of those people who very carefully chooses road trip music according to destination, who is travelling with me and even time of year. My husband thinks I'm uptight and controlling but I've never heard him complain about the music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great songs here. I know how you feel about your last semester. I'm experiencing the same feelings! It feels like my time at college flew by and I want to hold onto every moment so that it doesn't pass by too quickly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, last semester! such a crazy feeling, i can relate. I also always enjoyed the drive back to school from home; always a good time to listen to music and have some time to think.

    best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, you have such great taste. i love music and i love these picks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...