Saturday, February 18, 2012

Countries I Want to See, Pt. 3

Painted elephant
India
India
India is what I believe to be the most colorful place in the world. The Holi Festival, a religious holiday also known as Festival of Colours, is a springtime fete where Lisa Frank colored powders and water are thrown at each other. It makes for the most stunning pictures and looks like loads of fun. As a country so rich in art and traditions, visiting the Hindu temples and casually passing painted elephants would be both artistically inspiring and perhaps spiritually too. The Taj Mahal, is an obvious draw to me, and to everyone else in the world, wholly deserving it's spot on the "Wonders of the World" list.
.
New Zealand Mountains
Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Sand dunes
The Green Pool
New Zealand
It's no wonder why epic, fantastical movies, such as Lord of the Rings, are filmed in New Zealand. It's a land of so many terrains and temperatues. This one photographer's collection displays the extremes I am talking about. It looks like Iceland at times, but then also calls to mind Chile and Yosemite National Park. I have done little research on the country, but whenever I see a picture of the landscape there, I fall in love. I still can't get over the highlighter green lake in the bottom picture...
.
Penguins at Boulder Beach, South Africa
South Africa, God's Window
South Africa
South Africa
I have recently become obsessed with South Africa because one of my friends is studying abroad there for the semester. The pictures she posts and the activities she writes about are all kinds of wonderful. Cape Town looks quite picturesque, with it located near the ocean. However, it is also one of the most deadly beaches in the world because of Great White Sharks, and wouldn't you know, my friend went cage diving with them. Bravery is an understatement. Bonus: there are adorable penguins that hang out at the beach.

What countries do you want to see?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that first picture is INCREDIBLE. I'd love to visit all these places as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent 2 weeks in South Africa in January and I would highly recommend going if you ever get the chance. I went with my university so there was an education focus to the trip, but as I'm doing a Zoology degree we spent a lot of time wildlife watching which was absolutely amazing. We saw a wild penguin colony at Stony Point and sharks and seals at Dyer Island, both near Cape Town. We then camped in De Hoop nature reserve and Addo Elephant National Park. Both are absolutely beautiful places - De Hoop is on the south coast and there's a lagoon there where we were able to go for a swim without fear of sharks! I would without a doubt go back if I get the chance, I'd love to be able to explore more of the country.
    I'm going to be blogging about my trip soon if you want to read any more about my travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent 5 weeks driving around New Zealand with a friend, it was fantastic - there are so many different places to see! I like the north island best (where it's more Mediterranean), but there's tons to do on the south island.

    My dream is to sail up the Nile - if only Egypt would get its politics straightened out so I could visit :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an excellent list. I totally agree with all your picks. Maybe while visiting New Zealand, I would swing by Australia too. You know, just to be efficient, while (imaginary) travelling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh. India is by far #1 on my list. Those pictures are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...