Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine's Pinwheel Sugar Cookies

valentines
valentines
The party planner in me loves an excuse to get enthusiastic about menial commercial holidays, but the perpetually single girl in me does not. I like to treat Valentines Day unromantically, giving edible gifts to my parents and girlfriends and typically treating myself to a pastry or nice bar of salted caramel chocolate. I think it should be a day to love yourself (and treat. yo. self). I believe in the notion that you need to love yourself to truly love others.

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else
- Eleanor Roosevelt

valentines
I just sent off a batch of my Aunt Therese's Sugar Cookies to my parents and grandparents (and kept plenty for friends in Charleston). I typically ice these sugar cookies but once I saw this idea, I knew I was going to forgo the frosting this one time. What I did was follow my Aunt's cookie recipe (which I have been making, baking and eating for years) and used these steps to make the pinwheel action a-go-go. I cut out lip shapes with the leftover pink dough.

Aunt Therese's Sugar Cookies
1 1/ sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1. Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs in a mixer. Add vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to mixer until all incorporated.
3. Divide into sections and freeze until ready to use (up to several days), make sure the dough is chilled before you roll it out
4. Follow pinwheel steps or roll out into floured surface and cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes

valentines

5 comments:

  1. these are so pretty! i am def making cookies tomorrow now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pinwheel cookies are bananas. Someone is going to be lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so tasty! Sending packages is the best (especially when they're filled with sweet treats)! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are seriously amazing! and I couldn't agree more. loving yourself is incredibly important <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog ~ If you do have any questions about Chicago, let me know, I'd be happy to help you out!
    2) I love your way of thinking about Valentine's Day ~ I think that's the way it should be thought of!
    3) I also love the look and sound of these pinwheel cookies ~ I wish I had more of the "party planner" gene in me so I would think of making cute things like this :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...