Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mixtape Monday: Graduation

graduation graduation
I keep waiting for the reality to set in that I am officially a college graduate. All I feel right now is a sense if relief that school is finally over - forever.
My college has a beautiful and unique tradition of holding its commencement ceremony on the cistern in front of Randolph Hall, the original campus building that was there since the college opened in the late 1700's (College of Charleston is one of the oldest universities in America). Instead of caps and gown, girls wear white dresses and boys wear white dinner jackets - adorned with red roses. 
Graduation (which fell on my birthday - 23 y'all!) couldn't have fallen on a more beautiful day. It was in the 70's, dry and cloudy. Highly unusual for Charleston and it seemed to me like a good omen for the future.
.
Here is a playlist inspired by graduating and "the world is your oyster feeling":
1. How it Ends - DeVotchka
2. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
3. You Only Live Once - The Strokes
4. The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga
5. We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monae) - fun.
6. Viva la Vida - Coldplay
7. Forever Young - Youth Group
8. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
9. First Train Home - Imogen Heap
10. Scenic World - Beirut
11. Blue Skies - Noah and the Whale
12. Save Me - Gotye
13. The Riot's Gone - Santigold
14. We Turn It Up - Oh Land
15. Dance, Dance, Dance - Lykke Li
16. Heartlines - Florence + the Machine

graduation
P.S. My dad always tells me, "Lauren, the world is your oyster, it's just too bad you don't like oysters."
Classic dad humor. 

7 comments:

  1. I thought I'd come out of my cloak of anonymity to say congratulations and what a lovely young lady you have become. Your family must be very proud. I've been reading your various blogs for a few years and really enjoy reading about your travels and especially your favorite music. Good luck on your next endeavor. You really seem to be having a good life. /Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look so beautiful! congratulations, lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! and you look lovely
    i love your dress *.*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow your college seems so Romanic in its Traditions! I love your dress! Congratulations!

    P.S. Thumbs up* for making a graduate playlist without the obvious Vitamin C reference :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of you at the top is so gorgeous! You should frame it. I'm graduating soon, it's so scary but so exciting at the same time xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Your graduation looks gorgeous. So picturesque. Best of luck with your next steps. I hope one of them is a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations - that is so wonderful! Do you have any idea what your next step would be? I hope it's to take a vacation first!

    (p.s. i applied for a job at your college and got rejected, BOO! i really wanted to move to Charleston :P)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...