Monday, September 10, 2012

Albums I Will Always Love: Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat


I've decided to start a new series on my blog, "Albums I Will Always Love," where I will discuss why this particular album is wonderful and timeless to me.

First Up:

Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins
Rabbit Fur Coat

This album has remained my most played since 2006. It's what made me fell in love with Jenny, along with her involvement in Rilo Kiley. Her voice is at it's peak on this album and the Watson Twins round out her sound with perfect harmonization. 
Rabbit Fur Coat is a bit country (?), southern church soul and sunshine indie pop. Jenny is full of insight and wit in her lyrics too. I still have epiphanies with her lyrics, each time I listen.
She channels everyone from Loretta Lynne, on her most retro-country tunes, to 60's French icon Catherine Deneuve, on a French new-wave inspired song. There is a Jenny Lewis song for every mood I'm in. 
This album has already passed the test of time for me, because I have already outgrown most my favorite music from high school, except for this gem.

Because we live in a house of mirrors
We see our fears and everything
Our songs, faces, and second hand clothes
But more and more we're suffering
Not nobody, not a thousand beers
Will keep us from feeling so all alone
- You Are What You Love
.
It's hard to believe your prophets 
When they're asking you to change things 
But with their suspect lives we look the other way 
Are you really that pure, Sir? 
Thought I saw you in Vegas 
It was not pretty, but she was 
- Rise Up With Fists (see video below)


Check out: "The Big Guns" a great opener than makes you want to dosey doe, "Melt Your Heart" a lulling, sweet song with lyrics such as "It's like a Valentine from your mother," and "You Are What You Love" very French new-wave cinema.

Buy: Amazon | iTunes

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...