Sunday, December 2, 2012

Albums I Will Always Love: M83, Hurry Up We're Dreaming

(source)

M83
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This album would have been #1 on my Best Albums of 2011 list, had I listened to it before the year was over. This monster is 22 songs long over 2 CDs, with each song having a sister track on the opposite album. The French band has been around for over a decade, but this is only their second album with lyrics in almost every song, and you wouldn't be able to tell. 
Their 80's synth sound and unique, futuristic orchestra can perfectly accompany you to anything from a dance party to climbing a mountain (seriously). It's got some sexy saxophone but it also has spoken word poetry (by a small child). It is a glittering, grandiose work of art that overwhelms you in the best way that music does, body and soul. 
My memories with this album will always be associated with my last semester of college and going for midnight drives with the windows rolled down and the volume up. I'll associate it with being young, uninhibited, and energetic but also the deep, introspective conversations you have with yourself about the future. And because this album is so varied, it can accompany and understand all those feelings. 
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming will be my everything in my 20's.

The city is my church 
It wraps me in the sparkling twilight 
- Midnight City (see video below)

I'm the king of my own land
Facing tempests of dust, I'll fight until the end
Creatures of my dreams raise up and dance with me
Now and forever, I'm your king!
-Outro

Their connecting videos are visually stunning and have interesting plots, makes me wish a whole movie were set to this album.


Check out: "Outro"is a tear jerking, orchestral, and inspiring song that makes you feel like you can conquer the world, "Steve McQueen" has such great percussion and energy, "OK Pal" is so 80's and will make you dance immediately.

Buy: Amazon | iTunes

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...