Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Mixtape Monday: Best Songs of 2012

In addition my picks for Best Albums of 2012, here are my favorite songs from other artists not mentioned previously (in order):

1. Wings - Haerts (There is something so euphoric about this band's sound. This is their first single ever, so I am looking forward to hearing more from them in 2013.)

2. Lord Knows - Dum Dum Girls (This song is so sultry and has a hazy, dreamy feel to it, and will get stuck in your head.)

3. Northern Lights - Kate Boy (Also a brand new artist and debut single, I can't wait to hear more from this sexy Swedish techno-pop group in 2013.)

4. Don't Save Me - Haim (3 sisters comprise this retro-rock band and I am loving their singles so far -- their debut album cannot get here sooner!)

5. Dreams So Real - Metric (Off their 2012 album, Synthetica, this song is a standout, very youth anthem-like.)

6. Some Nights - fun. (I was kinda disappointed with their most recent album, hoping it would be just as theatrical and quirky as their first. They definitely stay true to their sound on most songs, but can sound over-produced and trendy on others. But this song, I LOVE.)

7. September - St. Lucia (This is a new single to come off their debut album, dropping sometime this year. )

8. Ruin - Cat Power (Her latest effort, Sun, almost made my Best Albums of the 2012 list. This song just makes you need to move your body, so glad she's back.)

9. Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch (Flo makes this song for so many reasons, you'll want to dance for sure.)

10. Forever - Haim (I would say Haim is a combo of Jenny Lewis and Fiona Apple, with an SoCal edge.)

11. Body of Work - The Mynabirds (This was one of my songs of the summer, so fun.)

12. Eyes Wide Open - Gotye (Gotye's Making Mirrors probably made most best of 2012 lists, and rightfully so. I love how all the songs on this album song very unique from the other.)

13. Bad Girls - M.I.A. (This video was freaking awesome and bad-ass, just like M.I.A.)

14. Hollywood (feat. Penguin Prison) - RAC (This infectious pop song is sure to get stuck in your head.)

15. Wishes - Beach House (2012's Bloom was another wonderful album, very electronic and chill, staying true to their sound.)

16. Heart of Stone - Iko (Off the Breaking Dawn Pt. 2 Soundtrack, not my favorite Twilight soundtrack, but still had some gems, like this heartbreaking one.)

17. Nothing to Remember - Neko Case (Off the The Hunger Games Soundtrack {not to be confused with the score}, which I was disappointed wasn't featured at all in the movie. I love Neko Case and her contribution to this folk-twanged album.)

18. Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It - Stars (I actually haven't heard their latest album, not giving it a fair chance in the race for the Best Albums of 2012, but I love this upbeat, inspiring song off it.)

19. Undercover - No Doubt (So glad they are back and making music, they picked up exactly where they left off.)

20. Simple Song - The Shins (head-bopping sort of tune)

21. The Sun - SURES (this song makes me miss modern dance)

22. Fire in the Water - Feist (also off the Breaking Dawn Pt. 2 Soundtrack)

23. Is Your Love Big Enough? - Lianne La Havaas (This girl is so funky fresh and a more blue-sy Beyonce.)

24. When We Were Young - Sucre (The lead singer from Eisley has a sparkling debut, as Sucre.)

25. Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men (Because this band is from Iceland, I automatically like them, but their folksy sound is infectious too.)

Hear them all:

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...