Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mardi Gras King Cake

king cake
Balcony in French Quarter
king cake

How I wish I were in New Orleans right now for Mardi Gras parades and festivities. I went two years ago and it was amazing. Which is a complete understatement because words can't describe it. If you haven't been yet, I recommend adding "go to as many Mardi Gras as possible" to your bucket list. 

Because I won't be in the Big Easy and it was my grandmother's birthday (who was born in Mobile, AL - where Mardi Gras actually originated in the states) I decided to make a traditional King Cake. Growing up in New Orleans as a kid, we had King Cake on the reg at school during the Mardi Gras season (not to mention days off from school - wait, why am I not living there??). I know the real stuff, and I can spot an impostor King Cake before even tasting it. 

I normally have bad luck when it comes to using yeast, but thankfully my dad is an expert at using it (he saved this dough). Knowing Emeril is an expert on all things New Orleans, I decided to give his recipe a try. I loved Cucina Girl's picture-by-picture tutorial on how to craft the perfect King Cake, great for novices like me! 

*A mistake I made was not allowing the active dry yeast to activate, so I recommend using instant yeast - MUCH easier to deal with!
*Also, the King Cake filling, to me, is the best part! So I would double the cream cheese mixture and use a cup of pecans, instead of 1/4 cup

Day Floatsking cake 
The King Cake was a success and almost consumed in one day. I would absolutely use this recipe again - so authentic!
Mardi Gras Beads king cake

Here are some selected songs from my Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras mixtapes to bake a King Cake to:

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! This is the second King Cake post on my feed and I am definitely going to make one this week, and that step by step tutorial will be super helpful, because I am pretty positive that no one here in upstate NY has any first hand experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we ALL wish we could be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras?! Sigh. Maybe some other year. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try this recipe (I'm not very skilled with yeast either) but hopefully I can find someone to make one for me! Yours looks excellent though :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for linking to my recipe! I love the idea of doubling the cream cheese filling. I'm going to do that next time too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...