Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Q & A: Annie Dressner // East Twenties EP Review

I recently had the chance to have a Q&A with London-based singer songwriter Annie Dressner. If you are fans of Camera Obscura and Vanessa Carlton, like me, I highly recommend checking this awesome girl out!
.
Q&A with Annie Dressner

What is your background with music and how did you decide that it was something to pursue?
I started playing piano when I was four & my favorite thing in the world has always been to sing.  My father is very good at piano & would play almost every day and I would sing with him when he got home from work.  Anyway, there was always music around me.
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to perform & sing.  I taught myself how to play guitar after graduating high school.  We had a little guitar in our house that was never used - and I guess I noticed it and decided that I wanted to learn.  
I wrote songs for a few years, but didn't really share them with anyone.  It wasn't until a friend of mine said to either take myself seriously or not do it at all -- I decided to take myself seriously.

How would you describe your sound?
As far as "my sound," perhaps "indie-folk"?

What inspires you for songwriting, what's your method of choice?
Love, life, heartbreak - something that makes me emote.  
Believe it or not, I am not always in the mood to write a song, and sometimes I am really in the mood to write a song, but not able to write a song that I think is good enough to share with the world.  I only like writing songs that really mean something to me so that I can share an experience or feeling.
When I am able to write, it is a really good feeling.  I grab my guitar, turn on my computer & open GarageBand, press record and start playing and singing.  I hit stop, rewind, play & record a lot.  I keep going back and taking bits of the lyrics & melody that I think are good.  Eventually, all of those bits and bobs turn into a song.  I guess it's a bit like writing a paper for school, in that you write your initial idea and keep tweaking until you think you can turn it in and you feel that sigh of relief that you are actually pleased with the work you've done - except it's way more fun.
Why did you move from NYC to London - which do you like more?
I moved for love.  As far as which one I like more, New York City is my home.  I was born there and my heart has not left.  I am enjoying the UK a lot too --- but don't make me choose!

Who are some of your favorite bands/songs?
Belle & Sebastian - All of their songs.  (Literally)
Midlake - Roscoe
Simon & Garfunkel - Homeward Bound
Stephen Malkmus - Church
(old) Kings of Leon - Slow Night, So Long
Foo Fighters - Big Me 
(and many, many more people...)

Dream duet?
Any of the above?

Describe your music in 3 words
American Folk Indie

website | tour | youtube | facebook

You can get Annie's debut album, Strangers Who Knew Each Other's Names on iTunes and Bandcamp today
.

East Twenties - EP Review

Annie Dressner's latest EP, East Twenties (dropping April 8th), picks up where she left off with her folksy, youthful sound. Annie's music is comforting and calming, a singer whose music you would want to hear in a quaint coffee shop. The lyrics in East Twenties deals with heart ache, loneliness and moving forward, topics I think most 20-somethings can relate to.
If you love the acoustic sound of Ed Sheeran and the femininity and voices of First Aid Kit, then you'll definitely need to get a copy of East Twenties.

Pre-Order HERE (EP releases 4/8)
and take a listen to one of the tracks below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...