Thursday, April 18, 2013

Albums I Will Always Love: The Killers, Hot Fuss


The Killers
Hot Fuss

I think it's safe to say that most music critics helm Hot Fuss as one of the best/accomplished debuts by any rock or alternative group. Mr. Brightside. All These Things That I've Done. Somebody Told Me. Enough said, right?
Sure it borrows inspiration from 80's bands like The Smiths or Duran Duran, but The Killers add their own dose of Las Vegas glamour and edge. 
The first time I heard this album in 2004 - my freshman year of high school - I remember falling in love with their unique sound and Brandon Flowers' charcoal-rimmed eyes. I just felt so cool (read: I was not) and it thus began my love for all things alternative and indie. 
I am a sucker for story-telling lyrics, and I like that most numbers on this album do just that - whether it's about a murder or hearing rumors about an ex.
The album's sound and subject matter also reflect the state in which the band is from - Nevada. The desert landscape. Glittering Las Vegas. Old-timey western saloons and tumbleweeds. All of it.
If this album has remained a favorite of mine for over 9 years and Brandon Flowers still makes the most appearances in my dreams out of any celeb, then I think it's safe to say my obsession with this album (and Brandon) will never cease.  (Don't get excited about my Brandon Flowers dreams, all we usually do is just hold hands and walk around a mall, but..still.)

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier 
- All These Things That I've Done

Never thought I'd let a rumor ruin my moonlight
Well somebody told me
You had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year
It's not confidential
 - Somebody Told Me

I love this video - very Moulin Rouge.

Check out: "All These Things That I've Done" is a catchy, soulful anthem, "Jenny Was A Friend of Mine" is a wonderfully energetic and emotional opener, and "On Top" is very 80's/very inspired by Sting.

Buy: Amazon | iTunes

More Albums I Will Always Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...