Monday, April 15, 2013

Mixtape Monday: Life's a Happy Song


Musical theatre productions during my high school and college years always took place during the spring, and it makes sense. (Most) musicals are sunny celebrations that take make you accept that it is perfectly normal for everyone to burst into synchronized singing and dancing (if you can't accept and believe it, you either have no imagination or you must be thinking what great improvisers they are). Musicals make you smile and always have a rosiness about them. The blossoming trees and warmer springtime air provides a colorful and energetic backdrop for a musical. On beautiful days, don't you wish a musical number was just waiting to happen? 
This week's mixtape is a collection of songs that make me feel like I am living in a musical, in my imagination (most of which are not featured in any musicals).

1. All the Pretty Girls - fun. (This song is off fun.'s debut album, Aim and Ignite, which I find to be more theatrical than Some Nights. I really want a Broadway musical set to their songs. Perfection it would be.)
2. Life's a Happy Song - The Muppet Movie Soundtrack (See all the pictures above? They are stills from this exact musical number, which I think is the happiest movie scene ever. The colors, the jazz hands, le sigh.)
3. Don't Leave Me (Ne Me Quitte Pas) - Regina Spektor (such a sunny song)
4. LDN - Lily Allen (Her music is so danceable, kitschy, and hilarious - musical ready I think!)
5. I Hate Everyone - Get Set Go (an angsty musical number)
6. I Want to Break Free - Queen (I LOVE ME SOME QUEEN. All their music is Broadway ready and puts me in the best mood.)
7. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) - Mika (He is definitely influenced by Queen and "Fat Bottomed Girls." Mika's music is theatrical and flamboyant, just as it should be.)
8. Nice Day - Persephone's Bees (reminds me of a French musical from the 60's)
9. You Don't Know Me - Ben Folds (feat. Regina Spektor)
10. Somebody to Love - Queen (this song should be sung in a bar scene)
11. At Least I'm Not As Sad (As I Used To Be) - fun. (see #1)
12. I Thought I Saw Your Face Today - She & Him
13. Downtown - Petula Clark (I've always imagined people singing this on a beautiful spring day on a busy street and everyone is wearing pastels.)
14. I See Things - The Choir Practice
15. You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates (another great movie musical scene from 500 Days of Summer)

Hear some of the songs here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...