Thursday, May 23, 2013

Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad

carrot salad Minaret carrot salad 

I love re-creating the dishes I ate while traveling, I find it can be more nostalgic than looking at pictures. 
I remember in Morocco how many carrots I ate, which is great because they're probably my favorite vegetable. I had so many different marinated carrot salads, because they more or less accompanied each meal. With all the carrots they eat, I bet Moroccans really care about eyesight, so they can sharply see all the color and gorgeousness that surrounds them (totes making that one up, but maybe...).
Here is a version of something I'm sure I had - it's delish, especially when paired with olive hummus and pita chips!
Also, had to sneak in some of my Morocco pictures, I think they complete the recipe as a cookbook would.

Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad
(adapted from 101 Cookbooks)
Dressing
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

10 ounces carrots, chopped
1 - 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup chopped prunes 
1/3 cup fresh mint, torn

Whisk all dressing ingredients in a large bowl, until the dressing is thickened and smooth. Stir in carrots, chickpeas, prunes and mint. Toss to combine.
This salad gets better over time, and can last for a few days in the fridge. 
Enjoy, my friend. 

Moroccan Lanterns Blues of Morocco carrot salad 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your moraccan pictures, how beautiful! when did you go? I love all their buildings and the style of them, i definitely need to go there in the next ten years. and yumm, if they're all about the carrots I'm sure I'll like pigging out there, too ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i went about 2 years ago for study abroad! i highly recommend it. such an inspiring place.

      Delete
  2. Oh Gosh! That looks delicious! I will definitely try out that recipe! And excellent pics! They are just gorgeous!

    <3 Anne
    http://delreyandthecity.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...