Thursday, July 18, 2013

Albums I Will Always Love: Kate Nash, Made of Bricks


Kate Nash
Made of Bricks

Kate Nash rose to popularity in the US just about the same time that her fellow sassy, British chanteuses did (think 2007 - Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, Adele). And although people loved to lump them all together, I would argue that they are so so different and each deserve their own place. Kate Nash was less brash and sexual than Lily Allen, which I think to most girls my age at the time, made her more accessible. Her lyrics are straightforward and always funny. She sings about the woes of seeing your crush make out with another girl to dancing at discos and eating cheese on toast. You can relate to her and she makes you smile. 
With Kate's lovely, strong British accent, accompanied by well orchestrated music, Made of Bricks urges you to move and get out. The record screams "Girl Power," and empowers me, and I hope other girls, to not let boys get you down and defeat your spirit. You're made of bricks. 

And my friends were like whatever
You'll find someone better
His eyes were way too close together
And we never even liked him from the start
And now he's with that tart
And I heard she done some really nasty stuff
Down in the park with Michael
He said she's easy
And if your guy's with someone that's sleazy
Then he ain't worth your time
'Cause you deserve a real nice guy
 - We Get On
.
Birds can fly so high
And they can shit on your head
And they can almost fly into your eye
And make you feel so scared.
But when you look at them
And you see that they're beautiful
That's how I feel about you
 - Birds

Check out: "Foundations" - the single that started it all, "Nicest Thing" is beautifully dramatic and mellow, and "Skeleton Song" is a silly, head-bopping song about being awkward. 

Buy: Amazon | iTunes

2 comments:

  1. I love this album, too! It's one of my favorites from my time in college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate Nash still is one of the best singers I know. How she can write songs... unbelievable. Her album Made of Bricks is one of the few I actually bought on cd! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...