Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Mixtape Monday: Dear Chicago

chicago
I'm here. I made it. I am in Chicago. 
My parents and I have spent the last few days getting my apartment all set up and home-y and they just left this evening. So many emotions. Mostly, I can'y believe this moment is here, the thing I've talked most about the past 2 years or more. It's here. What now? I know once I find a job and start classes at The Second City - and once my roommate gets here - I'll feel a more comfortable. I know that future friends are here and that I just haven't crossed paths with them yet. My career, what ever that may be, is here. 
My future relies on this place, which is a statement that puts a lot of pressure on myself and my surroundings, but it was what I intended. I want to start my life here. And it's begun already. 
Tomorrow I plan on exploring and getting a feel for what I've gotten myself into (please catch my sarcasm).The thing is, is that I have put myself in this "situation," I've decided to uproot my life and go somewhere that I am a stranger to. This was all something I chose to do, and something I will relish once the loneliness and homesick blues go away. Missing friends and family is part of the deal, when you choose to follow your dreams.
I feel like a college freshman all over again - except I am legal and I got to choose my awesome roommate. Cheers to adventures in Chicago and a brand-spanking new chapter in my life! 
Sorry if this post was cynical/woe-me sounding, not my usual tone, but I feel as though I should document exactly how I am feeling right now. 
.
Here is a playlist of some Chicago/moving away-themed music that I listened to on the ride here:

1. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens (it's basically my theme song right now)
2. Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave
3. Neu Chicago - Clive Tanaka y su orquesta
4. Heavy Metal Drummer - Wilco (they are from Chicago)
5. Chicago x 12 - Rogue Wave (as is this band)
6. Blue Skies - Noah and the Whale (This song is about moving on to better things, bluer skies are ahead. I get such warm feelings when I hear it.)
7. The Beauty Surrounds - Houses (another band of Chi-town)
8. The Winner Is - Devotchka & Mychael Danna
9. With Arms Outstretched - Rilo Kiley (driving to the "promised land")
10. Dear Chicago - Ryan Adams
11. The First Days of Spring - Noah and the Whale (This song gives me goosebumps every single time I hear it.)
12. Shine On - Jet
13. I Will Be Back One Day - Lord Huron
14. The Giant of Illinois - Andrew Bird (Andrew is from Chicago, and boy, do I hope to bump into him one day.)
15. Come On! Feel the Illinoise!, Pt. I: The World's Columbian Exposition / Pt. II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In a Dream - Sufjan Stevens
16. I Move On - Chicago the Musical Soundtrack
17. Sweet Jazz Music - Jelly Roll Morton

hear the road trip:

2 comments:

  1. yaaay welcome to chicago!!! and second city?! go you, that is absolutely awesome! i just did the same thing as you just more on a whim. i've lived in chicago my whole life and decided to move to seattle just to try out a new place; i've never even been there, haha. and have fun exploring- bucktown is my absolute favorite place :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, welcome, welcome! We should hang. I'm Emma, a friend of Lexie/Sandy/Tess. I will DM you my digits and we can get coffee or something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...