Thursday, September 5, 2013

Coconut Curry Pita Bowl

coconut curry pita bowl
I would call myself a pretty experienced cook, but there are parts of the world whose food I just haven't played around with enough. One being Indian food and their curries. Between not really knowing how all the different spices and curries taste - alone and together, what/why they are used in specific dishes -  and honestly not ordering it enough when I go out, it all sort of intimidates me. 
I have great plans to broaden my horizons on Indian cooking and eating - starting with this simple, easy-to-follow Coconut Chicken Curry. You can totally make it into a pita sandwich, but I don't have the coordination to keep from exploding on all sides when I am eating it, ergo: a pita bowl.

Coconut Curry Pita Bowl
(adapted from this recipe)
3 boneless skinless chicken fillets
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons curry powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
.
3/4 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
.
chopped tomatoes
leafy greens
sliced cucumber
whole wheat pita breads
(I really like to use Whole Wheat Pocket Thins - I think they are the most soft and healthy)

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chicken fillets and cook about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred apart the chicken, then add it to the pan with the onion and bell pepper. Stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, salt and coconut.
4. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice and a dash of salt and pepper until smooth.
5. Heat the pita in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and add to your bowl with the shredded chicken, yogurt sauce, and some tomatoes, greens, cucumbers - or whatever suits your fancy.

coconut curry pita bowl

I've had mind-blowing Indian food in San Francisco and Asheville - any suggestions for Indian cuisine in Chicago?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...