Y'all, this is seriously one of the best dishes I have ever made.
Bitter-crisped kale, topped with warm quinoa, roasted butternut squash, peppers, and sweet dried figs. Finished with some roasted pumpkin seeds. So many flavors and textures going on at once. It. was. awesome. Super healthy and filling.
Here's how to make it:
Autumn Quinoa Bowl with Crispy Kale, Butternut Squash & Dried Figs
1 cup red quinoa (or whatever type you have on hand)
2 cups water
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 -12 oz bags ready-to-use cubed butternut squash *get 'em at Trader Joes* (or 6 cups if you're peeling and cutting a butternut squash yourself)
sea salt and pepper
crushed red pepper
extra virgin olive oil
10 oz bag kale
1 cup chopped dried figs
roasted pumpkin seeds
1. Cook quinoa per directions on box.
2. Toss red bell pepper and squash with salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp or more of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 3 TBL extra virgin olive oil on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees for about 40 min, stirring along the way.
3. Toss kale with 6 TBL extra virgin olive oil and 6 TBL balsamic vinegar, and spread out evenly over baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 425 for about 15 min (this might take a few batches - if you're not going to serve it all at once, just refrigerate the kale and make a new batch with every leftover).
4. Stir together cooked quinoa, roasted peppers and squash, and dried figs until well combined.
5. In each serving bowl, fill with crisped kale to the top, then top with warm quinoa mixture, sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds.
Here's some Autumnal music to play while you're cooking (from this playlist):