Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mixtape Monday: Ballet Class

vintage mom
I found this vintage gem while going through moving boxes this summer. The little ballerina in the middle is my mom. 

When you start taking dance classes as a little girl, you always start with ballet. You must learn the fundamentals and techniques that you will use for most different styles of dance. Even at a young age, I never cared for my ballet classes, I just wanted to do the fun stuff like jazz and tap, which eventually turned into modern and hip hop for me. Ballet just never has matched my personality, whereas modern - which basically refutes all formal training and technique - really understood me. And I it.  
I have never regretted not going through with all the rigorous training that goes along with being a ballerina, but I can still totally appreciate the art and dedication. And the music. 

All these songs remind me of being at the barre:
1. Ottoman - Vampire Weekend
2. Pretty Good Year - Vitamin String Quartet
3. White Houses - Vanessa Carlton
4. You to Thank - Ben Folds
5. Pickpocket - Kate Nash
6. Young Lion - Vampire Weekend
7. Fairweather Friend - Vanessa Carlton
8. Opus 23 - Dustin O'Halloran
9. Recieves - Keith Kenniff
10. Endless Sleep - Sucre
11. Old Skin - Ólafur Arnalds & Arnor Dan
12. We Move Lightly - Dustin O'Halloran
13. After the Curtain - Beirut
14. Sink Ships - Jónsi

This piece that has been circulating the internet lately is absolutely stunning. 

first position, second position:

1 comment:

  1. I truly adore your Mixtape mondays and I like how you make them so personal too! I only did jazz but always regretted to not have tried the formal, classic way first :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...