Monday, January 6, 2014

Mixtape Monday: Best Songs of 2013

This list is accounted separately from the Best Albums of 2013, which will be posted later this week - and is also formed by my personal music taste, read: NO MILEY. 
(in order)

1. Think of You - MS MR (What a great anthem - "I still think of you and all the sh*t you put me through..." plus they were great in concert!)

2. Waitin' - Caitlin Rose (For some reason this songs reminds me of a sitcom intro song, Carol King meets Ben Folds.)

3. Bad Habit - Foals (This is such a powerfully epic song on par with their single"Spanish Sahara," plus the video is pretty cool too.) 

4. Wildest Moments - Jessie Ware (Her album Devotion, brought back 90's R&B with a fresh sound - this single is super catchy too.)

5. Black Roses - Escondido (Southwestern vibe with a touch of Neko Case)

6. The Way We Are - Kate Boy (I'm ready for them to release an album already, their first single was featured on 2012's list.)

7. Over the Love - Florence + the Machine (Flo's single for The Great Gatsby which is just as dramatic and haunting as it should be.)

8. Metal & Dust - London Grammar (They've got such a sleek, sultry sound that is just so effortlessly cool.)

9. Oblivion (feat. Susanne Sundfør) - M83 (Finally, M83 scored a film, not my favorite movie, but the soundtrack is futuristic and cinematic and all around phenomenal. This song deserves the loudest volume possible.)

10. Never Age - GEMS (So pleased that this band was introduced to me this year, dream pop at it's best.)

11. Hemiplegia - HAERTS (Synth-pop with a warm, fuzzy feel - their debut album will drop early this year, so thats something to look forward to.)

12. New Lover - Josh Ritter (A lush, folksy song with heartbreaking lyrics.)

13. Bourgeois - Phoenix (Favorite song off Bankrupt! with a sound similar to "Love Like a Sunset, Pt. II.")

14. Despair - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (I have long been a fan of Karen O and the gang, and how their sound has evolved through the years. This single is reminiscent of their early song, "Maps.")

15. Change Your Life (ft. T.I.) - Iggy Azalea (This Australian model turned Southern rapper is my favorite person of the moment. Her videos are gorgeous and her songs are catchy. I love when white girls can prove their game.)

16. Mirrors - Justin Timberlake (20/20 did not disappoint, neither did his various appearances on Jimmy Fallon and SNL this year.)

17. Here I Am - Adam Green / Binki Shapiro (for fans of: She & Him, Little Joy and the 60's)

18. I'm Not Your Hero - Tegan and Sara (Heartthrob was a great direction for T&S to take into the electro-pop world. Lots of danceable songs that are a little less angsty than their previous work.)

19. Pretty Boy - Young Galaxy ("And I know you feel isolated / And I feel what you won't say / I don't care if the disbelievers / Don't understand, you're my pretty boy, always.")

20. Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams) - Daft Punk (70's soul train music, my song of the summer)

21. Work  - Iggy Azalea ("I be work work work work...")

22. Pulaski At Night - Andrew Bird (Released just in time for his Gezelligheid concert series, which I luckily attended. This EP has so much to do with Chicago, and has a big place in my heart right now.)

23. It All Feels Right - Washed Out (tropical synth pop)

24. Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly) - Lady Gaga (I am a Little Monster, and I have to say that while Artpop isn't my favorite Mother Monster album, it's super great to workout to!)

25. Elastic Heart (feat. The Weeknd, Diplo) - Sia (a standout from the Catching Fire Soundtrack)

hear 'em all:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...