Friday, June 26, 2015

Seljalandsfoss & Seljavallalaug, Iceland: Day 5

seljalandfoss seljalandfoss seljalandfoss
Africa, right?
seljalandfoss seljalandfoss farm goat
lil' goat
seljalandfoss
vern trek
2 women, finding themselves in the Icelandic wilderness...a book is bound to be written
hike hike
I was in Iceland on my 26th birthday, which wasn't intentional, but the dates and flights just worked out that way. It was wonderful. Woke up and ate my favorite Scandinavian open faced sandwich breakfast, Vern made me hold the Icelandic flag while doing so (it's a Danish thing...).
We head down to Seljalandsfoss (btw "foss" = waterfall) to admire the grandeur of it all. Not that I have seen a waterfall in Africa, but I did feel like I was looking at waterfall in Africa. It's a very humbling experience (all the waterfalls in Iceland are). After exploring the falls, we got hot dogs for lunch. Truly, that never got old - (waterfalls &) hot dogs.
We heard of this hot spring that you can hike to that was near by, Seljavallalaug. The trek there felt like being in a Peter Jackson movie. Stunning. Quiet. Desolate. Like the books said, there is no sign that you are anywhere near the pool until you literally see the pool, which appears out of thin air.
We changed into our swimsuits and quickly got in the pool. We were there for probably 3 hours till we were good and prune-y. People came and went. Swimming in a hot spring surrounded by majestic mountains in Iceland has made it into my top 5 LIFE experiences thus far. I only wish we were sipping on gin and tonics. 
We made our way back to the car and headed to this cowshed restaurant, Gamla Fjósið, for dinner. Burgers again. They were delish. As were the gin and tonics. As were the 3 different desserts we ordered.

You only turn 26 in Iceland once.
I feel fortunate and grateful to say I did so. 
hike
hike
hot spring
Vern for scale. Only 3 of the sides are finished, the other is just mountain. 
me hot spring
Strike a pose, but this is how glamourous it felt.
hike
Basalt columns
hot spring seljalandfoss
VERNS
26!
26 has already been a memorable year
DSC_0066_2
carrot cake, chocolate cake, various ice creams and spiked coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...